Saturday, January 2, 2016

The One and Only, Orion: A Miracle

This isn't my picture. But it is of my favorite Orion.

The only reason I like Orion is because every winter, I can see him out of my window. Right there. When I was in junior high, I used to say "Good night, Orion" every night until I couldn't find him any more.

Tonight is a beautiful starry winter night again. Just like all those times I've seen Orion, I can still see him clearly in this cold winter night.

As I stared up at the sky, at the myriads of stars, I searched, without success, for the Big Dipper. I tried to find the Big Bear and the faithful hunting dog of Orion's.

"I want to learn how to easily spot more constellations," I thought to myself.

Then, as I stared up at the stars, I noticed that under the three aligned stars of Orion was another group of three stars lined up straight downward.

"It's amazing that these stars, from so far away, come to be aligned when they travel to Earth."

As I thought this, I was even more amazed at the pure fact that constellations exist.

They are only created when, the lights of stars so far away (even from each other), come together through Earth's atmosphere and only then can we discover those constellations.

Constellations, now, when I think about it, are really special gifts we are looking at. If the stars did not align in this certain way, Orion would not exist. No one would've named him or made a story for him. No one would've spotted him in the night sky.

Constellations. Those are truly miracles and a delightful privilege for us. Thank you universe, thank you Earth, thank you stars, and everything and anything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment