Monday, May 23, 2016

Okay, let me just say...NO MUSIC!!

So A LOT OF TIMES I have seen people ask questions or write about it.

Yes.

Do you listen to music while you write?

or just

What kind of music do you listen to while you write?

Oh my gawd.

Just please, just please stop with that! Not everyone will automatically be a music-listening writer or a writer listening to music when they write.

I don't listen to music when I write. I listen to the commotion (if there is any) around me. I also like to listen to silence. It is a very interesting and calming thing to listen to.

Now, don't go hating on me, I do like music. Just...not together. Not with writing. Or studying. Or anything basically.

See, I am a largely LYRICS person.

I listen to the lyrics. That's why I can enjoy Owl City (whereas my Mom is a MUSIC ONLY person and she says Owl City's songs all sound the same. Yes, they SOUND the same but they are all totally different and I like them).

Lyrics really mean something to me. I want to concentrate on them when I listen to them. But of course, even if the lyrics are really good, if the music isn't my cup of tea (oh so british :D ) then I probably wouldn't listen to it.

Now, here's the thing, BECAUSE I concentrate on the lyrics, I DO NOT WANT to be doing other things.

SIMILARLY (ermahgerd, such a mouthful of a word)

BECAUSE I concentrate when I write, I DO NOT WANT to be doing other things. Like, listening to music.

There.

So, NO MUSIC when I write, please, thank you. Geesh, what is it with English-speaking writers who automatically assume all English-speaking writers listen to music when they write! :0

See ya later, alligators!

No comments:

Post a Comment