Thursday, May 19, 2016

I am the Evil Puppeteer of my Characters

Source of Topic: This Website

Topic: Who or what inspired your characters

(my story here)

Oh my gawd! My characters. Yes, my good ol' characters.

My characters are, for me, people I am allowed to mess with and make them do things and poke and prod and laugh in their faces because they have absolutely no say!
Bugs Bunny "Duck Amuck".
One of my MOST FAVORITE Bugs Bunny cartoons.
So hilarious.
Let me tell you the truth:

As far as I know, nothing really inspired my characters.

I didn't know who they were until the story progressed and I made things happen.

Do they represent a part of me? I don't know. I don't think so.

Liaffon started off with three distinct characters:

Velodis
A sixty-year-old man who is very very poor and is very very wise and thought to be the kin of the Guardians.

Oh wait, I have something amazing! You gotta see this! :D
This is what Velodis might look like. It's really super close to the image I had of him, only he will be wearing a bucket hat and have on a sweater vest. But the beard and face is PERFECT! :D If this guy is an actor and Liaffon became a movie, I would want him to play Velodis.


Okay, back on track.


Belome
A forty-something Glass Wielder (makes glass, obviously) who is a big guy and a little chubby.

Grendle
A young man, like late twenties, who is very arrogant. He is from a futuristic city and he has come to propose change in the little village that Velodis and Belome live in. According to Velodis' thought process, he has the power of speech. The Antagonist of the story.

(Currently, some of these characters are quite far from their original forms.)

One thing about me is that my initial characters CAN sometimes come from books I'd been reading. Now, I don't know if I was conscious about this but I had read Shannon Hale's "The Goose Girl" probably around this time or maybe a little bit before then.

Shannon Hale's "The Princess Academy" was what inspired me to write in general, actually. Anyway, in "The Goose Girl", I think it was this one, there is a scene near the end where the girl who has this power to horse-speak, or something like that, fights for her place back at the castle as the Princess or something and commands the wind because apparently people who can speak to animals can also learn how to command the elements and speak to them.

So she gathers the powers and forces of all the bits and pieces of wind and air around them and unleashes the power on the enemy.

I might have been thinking of that when I said "power of speech". I remember when I was writing it, I wanted it to be like some kind of power that could make people do whatever. So yes, Grendle was supposed to be outright evil.

Right now though, I'm not sure if he is. Maybe? Maybe not?

Anyway, neither Velodis nor Belome were inspired by anything. Maybe they were inspired unconsciously. Maybe some psychologist can read my story and see what they represent or say about me. Maybe they are a part of me.

Song break! This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me, no! This is the part of me that you're never gonna ever take away from me, no! ("Part of Me" Katy Perry).

See ya later alligators! Until next time! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment