Wednesday, October 19, 2016

I'm a Child of U.S-Japan Reconciliation

Well, obviously the title is click-bait...or is it? If you already know me, N.J., I'm half Japanese and half American. When you think about it, it's not unusual but it is kinda interesting considering during World War II, Japan and the US were enemies.

It's a touchy subject, the War Era, but these days when you talk about controversial things people say "GIMME MORE!" so, here it is:

The mindset (some) teachers in Japan said the US military had when they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima.

Hiroshima is up in Debateland, guys. The recent news of President Obama visiting Hiroshima and stuff...you know, that stuff.

Have you wondered how Japan reasons the bombing? Let me tell you about one incident I had with this topic in elementary school...


Once upon a time in elementary school back in...about 2002 or 2003, I was going to a Japanese elementary school in Japan (of course) and one History class the teacher was talking about the bombing in Hiroshima.

Now, I was about 10 or 11 and...yes, I did know about it but that was it. I just knew that it happened in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and that sometime shortly after, World War II ended. Just plain old facts.

Now, this is what she said.

She said that when the US military men went to bomb Hiroshima, the guys in the actual planes were chewing gum while they sent the bomb down.

When I told this to my Mom, who is American, she said, "Where did you hear that?! It's not true!" And just to let you know, of COURSE I had doubts about it because really, how could anyone know what was going on back then in such detail?

Sometimes I remember that time, when the teacher told us that shocking stuff. When I remember it I wonder, WHY did she say that?

Now I wonder, WHY did she put that image in our minds that the US had such an evil cold mind at the time?

Chewing gum! Like, who da heck, what, oh, why and uh...!!

Why would you say that to a bunch of naive kids? Seriously! :0



These days I'm not sure what they're teaching kids in school in Japan but hopefully it is more factual than...you know, not like storytelling.

Let's veer off topic for a bit. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Japan and America have a war again.

Not like I think they might or anything...well, unless a certain somebody becomes President and we know who that is... *shifty eyes*


What will happen with kids like me? Japanese-Americans, American-Japanese...it's gonna be a big problem.

Back on topic, elementary schools, I think, are pretty important for teaching all those long-time ago war relations. Even the issue with comfort women, if people are so worried kids shouldn't learn about the sexual aspect of war, they can call it slavery. I mean, it IS, er WAS, a form of slavery, right?

Kids are taught about history for the first time in elementary school, don't give them the wrong image. I mean, it says something if someone like me who is more Japanese than you might think, cannot forget that image the teacher described.

Not just because my Mom is American but because it is just so cold-hearted.

Don't make kids believe that people in the US are cold-hearted beings, no, not beings, just THINGS.

Geesh!

Teach the facts and the facts only and let's all be friends so kids like me won't eventually have to choose sides.

Okay, that was pretty controversial wasn't it?

See ya later, alligators!

2 comments:

  1. WW2 pilots and crew did often chew gum for its ear-equalizing benefits. It was all about their altitude, not their attitude! Incidentally, Beemans gum was a favorite because it contained pepsin that also helped with queasy stomachs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! My teacher said it in a way like "They didn't care! They were even chewing gum!" Obviously she didn't know the real reason :/

      Delete