Friday, October 7, 2016

Are you a fan of *insert artist name here*?

Are you a fan of Owl City? (for example)

No, I'm not a fan.
Translation: I'm not a fanatic.

It is said that the word "fan" is derived from "fanatic".

But saying I'm not a fan seems to put people off. They look at me like "WHAT ARE YOU??? Some kind of alien???? What do you mean you're not a fan???"

But, I tell them,
it's not like I don't like the artist, I DO very much like them. I don't fuss over them. I'm not a fan meaning not a fanatic. I'm not obsessed with them.

Side note: In fact, I'm rarely obsessed with anything. And I have obsession waves. One moment I'm binge watching Lindsey Stirling on YouTube and then the next moment I'm not.

If you want to know if I would faint when meeting Owl City, or Adam, I wouldn't cuz I'm not a fan.

I like Little Mix but I don't consider myself a Mixer. I'm not obsessed with them. I follow them on Twitter but I don't keep up.

People seem to think that you can't just like an artist. You either are a fan or not. You either are obsessed or you dislike them.

But I think we can like artists without being obsessed over them. We don't always have to be on either one or another extreme.

We can like an artist enough to buy their CDs when it comes out. We can like an artist to the extent that we have watched all their YouTube music videos but wouldn't watch them every single day or stalk their twitter or facebook and send them many many "follow me" or "friend me" messages.

We are allowed to like and it doesn't have to be to the extreme fanatic stage.

You don't always have to be a fan of someone. A fan is a fanatic. A crazily obsessed person. You've seen the concerts, you know what they look like.

See ya later, alligators :)

No comments:

Post a Comment