Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Memories are One-Sided

They are! I mean, all our own memories revolve around what I did, how I did it, what felt good or bad to ME or how I remembered how it happened or how I remember what he / she did.

All our memories revolve around ourselves. Not what other people did that has nothing to do with the memorable experiences we had.

"Yesterday I went to Starbucks with my friend from high school."
"Oh you did? I remember when I went with my old friend from high school. How was it?"

"It was okay, I mean, we hadn't seen each other in so long...like ten years."
"I remember when I met my old friend last year. It was awkward."
"Yeah and she didn't look like anything I remembered at all!"
"Yeah, my friend almost felt like a total stranger!"
"Time does weird things."
"Surely."

It could be that each person's old friend didn't think that about themselves. They didn't feel that they changed since those ten years ago. What they remembered about themselves was exactly the same as they were now.

But the friend saw a change because in THEIR memory, from THEIR eyes, that old friend had changed.

Interesting, don't you think?

Sometimes someone from a past memory would say "My! How you've changed!" but I don't feel any different or even that I've changed. Maybe matured but not like anything dramatic. But that person remembers me in a certain way so it SEEMS that I have changed dramatically when I haven't...or, have I?

Getting too confuzzled...what do you think? Do you agree with what I've said? Comment below!

I'll see you later alligators! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment