Sunday, August 28, 2016

Imaginary Friends: Twin Brothers and My Double

SPOILER ALERT!
If you've seen Inside Out, the Pixar film, you might remember Bing Bong. He was Riley's imaginary friend and he was still hidden inside her head even as she grew up.

I think most of us have imaginary friends. I was thinking it might be a culturally American thing because idk if any of my Japanese or Chinese friends had imaginary friends or even know what an imaginary friend is.

Most of my culture is Japanese, yet the other half is American. Did I have an imaginary friend? And if I did, where is it today?

The answer is
yes, I did have imaginary friendS. Notice the plural emphasis. I could not just settle on ONE. I was such a lonely child *dramatic sad face*

Today I don't like talking about them much, for reasons. When I was little I had this rule that if you talk about them, they stopped being real. Not that I think they are real today, but, I want to stay as faithful Little Me as I can (Little Mix "Little Me" reference).

My Dad, or maybe it was my Mom or both, introduced me to this one imaginary friend guy that lived in a little pink room inside my head. They just introduced the name or something, I don't remember how he came about...but I would, apparently, tell stories about him to my parents. Which, I did before the rule of talking about them was established.

Later, we gave him a brother who lived in a purple room inside my head right next to the other one. The brother wasn't very nice because I didn't like his existence much. I MADE him not so nice. I think the brothers were twins or something.

Anyway, as I got older, and I was still only about...mmm, uhm, 5 or 6? At MOST. I stopped thinking about them. Instead, I played with Beanie Babies and my stuffed animals, making up stories using them. I would always do it before I went to sleep because it helped me sleep.

DON'T AWWW! I can hear you! DON'T...I'm not cute! *looks away in subtle annoyance* Sheesh.

The most popular stories were:

CRISIS! There is a flood! Quick, save them all!

Singing on stage, superstars, ladada.

SAVE THEM FROM THE STORM! EVACUATE TO THE CAVES! (caves were the spaces under the blankets with me)

The dogs and cats are fighting! WIN CATS! (I was a cat maniac child) Oh wait, Flip will talk with one of the dogs and try to make things right between them again! Yay Flip!


Most of the time, Flip could fly and save the other Beanies. She was the heroine. At some points, I think she may even have had powers.

This is what Flip looks like.
This isn't my Flip though.
I guess I was naturally gravitating toward a like for action movies, adventure movies, drama, horror...you know, I guess I liked that kinda stuff even when I was little...okay off topic.

I think I was 6 or 7 when I got my first ACTUAL imaginary friend who existed outside of my head. I was playing in the garden when suddenly there she was, my double.

Her name was Monarch from Monarch butterfly, I think, and she and I would play together in the garden and make medicine out of water and leaves or make soup out of...you guessed it, water and leaves. She wasn't very nice and most of the time very selfish or she would make me do things that Mom wouldn't like me doing. I think she was older than me. Idk how much older but enough to be like my big sister though I treated her as my equal cuz she WAS my double.

I'm an only child btw.

Basically she wanted to take over my life and I had to stop her from doing it.

At some point, I can't remember if it was the beginning or later on, she became Princess Monarch and she wanted to take over my Princess life or something like that. She was my double that I created but had gone down the wrong road.

Hm, very sci-fi-esque, huh?

It might have been about the time of 8 years of age, which was when my family moved, that she disappeared. I might have thought up an episode in my head where I defeated her and she ran away never to return.

Today she doesn't exist at all except as a memory from childhood. The little bugger, still existing there in my head, I thought I got rid of you!

...I'm joking, I'm joking! I know she's not real, sheesh!

:P

You might have noticed...I didn't really have a CUTE imaginary friend. Maybe because that CUTE was satisfied with all the Beanie Babies and stuffed animals I had around me.

All my imaginary friends were human. Which is interesting, I think, considering that Riley's was a mix of all kinds of creatures and D.W. from "Arthur" had an imaginary friend that could use magic and apparently was not exactly the same species as D.W. or any of the other characters.

Were your imaginary friends human or not? And do you still talk to them today? If you do, tell them I said hi :)

See ya later, alligators!

No comments:

Post a Comment