Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Why My Parents Find Modern Dance (hip-hop etc.) BORING

There's a problem. Idk if it's just my parents but when I showed them this:

Thank you to Anthony Ying for uploading the full audition of Boyband :)

I showed it to them because I thought it was AWESOME!!!

But they were like meh :/

So it's late at night and I'm watching it again for the idk-how-many-th time, I'm thinking "Why do I think it's AWESOME but they don't?"


My parents do enjoy a good talented pop singer (mostly slow songs), opera singer...dancing grannies...

But not modern dance.

I just couldn't understand for a long time and finally it just clicked guys.

Yes, it's almost 2 in the morning and it clicked.

Modern dance isn't just about the dancers. It's not just about skill. It's making you feel like you want to join, too. Classical dance, yeah, you might want to try it MAYBE but it doesn't make you feel...fun.

Modern dance is not just about the dancers (I'm repeating myself) it's also about the audience. It's about entertaining the audience. Making them feel like they are enjoying it. Classical dance or opera singing makes you feel something but it's more of the "wow" factor.

Do you enjoy classical dancing or singing? Yes.

Do you enjoy slow melodic pop music? Yes.

Do you have fun when you are watching it? Yes...well, not in the same way you do modern dance.

Modern dance is skill, entertainment, sometimes it can go as far as a form of acting as it can tell a story.

Classical dance focuses on skill and bringing you into a different world (ballet etc).

My parents wouldn't like Party Rock. That long part in the middle where the music just plays...my Mom is more modern so she MIGHT dance to it but my Dad will probably yawn and go to bed.

What I want to say is that the reason my parents, and maybe some of you have felt this way or had people who told you, don't enjoy modern dance or hip-hop or they don't understand it or think it's TOTALLY BORING, is because they were brought up in an era where dance was a form of expression and skill only. Modern dance is full with acting, skills, synchronization, facial expressions (acting), and overall entertaining the audience. It's about making them smile, jump out of their seats, shout and scream, dance along with them...it's different.

Because it's different and they weren't brought up with it but rather forced into it, it's hard for them to understand why that video is so AWESOME!!!

I mean, it's fun! Not just because I knew the song. I enjoy hip-hop dancing with songs I've NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IN MY ENTIRE LIFE UP UNTIL NOW.

That tells you that not all generations are going to enjoy or even understand modern dance.

30 years from now when I'm in my 50s, my kids will be showing me some vid with their kind of modern dancing and wonder WHY ON EARTH I don't find it entertaining.

It'll happen, sadly.

Okay. I need to go to sleep now. But I wanted to share this EUREKA! with you guys.

Modern and Classical are different forms of entertainment. That's why my parents are bored watching modern dance vidoes. Modern dance seems boring to them because they get their "wow"s out of performances where skills are the main and almost only focus. That's why they do enjoy hand balancing shows or juggling tricks.

It's old school, that's what it is. If that's what old school is *shrugs*

Huh, if there's an "old school"...what is the "new school"...?

...

See ya later, alligators! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment