Monday, November 14, 2016

What is good or bad, right or wrong?

Questions about morals? But certainly there are things that are right or wrong, good or bad that we can all agree on no matter our beliefs, personal feelings, and other things that can influence us.

Let's talk about all the bad/wrong stuff first just to get it out of the way.

I bet we can all agree that
killing people just because is wrong/bad. Just because. For no reason. Before I get into this let me just mention two more things we can probably all agree are wrong/bad.

-Killing people just because.

-Stealing

-Abuse

You might notice that I didn't put "wars" here. Wars are bad, yes. But are they wrong? Personally I hate any idea of war but not all wars are bad, right? I mean, it all depends on the reason it started. Oppressed by a stronger country for decades or having a war just for want of power or becoming independent and standing up for yourself.

You don't need to point it out. I do know there are plenty other bad/wrong things (like drugs, in my opinion even if it IS for recreational use now in some states in the US) but they might not be considered as "bad" universally, as we see in some states in the US *repeating myself like a parrot* which have now said weed can be recreational. Clearly not every American sees weed as bad.

The first one, "Killing people just because" means those that do it for absolutely no reason.

Some of you might say, "Well now, what about terrorism?" Well what about it? It depends on the perspective and I'm gonna sound a bit detached from reality here. But don't worry. I'm still here, talking to you :)

Take a look at the situation from the 9.11 terrorists. Put yourselves completely in their shoes. If you do that, you can understand that they probably didn't really think this was bad (as horrible as that sounds). They sincerely believed that they were doing this for the good of humanity (it sounds terrible, I know).

Then, if you have not been around during that time, put yourself completely in the shoes of the survivors and most of the rest of us. It really looks like they did it for "no particular reason" or "just because" they could or wanted to. It looks like they could care less about the lives of others.

So, a few terrorists believe sincerely they did nothing wrong. Then the majority of us believe that they did it for no particular reason.

Does majority win? In Democracy, yes. Personally I don't support terrorism and can't really think of anyone who would ever support terrorism. So hey, relax guys and don't report me :)

Okay so as we have established, killing people just because is pretty awful. As I wrote before, killing for no particular reason is terrible. It is bad. I put "just because" because of the fact that you can kill people for self-defense or during wars, which I already pointed out aren't necessarily wrong.

But don't get depressed just yet. Don't think that oh mah gawd, these are all the bad/wrong things we agree on and there is nothing good left in this world... STOP. HOLD IT RIGHT THERE. Take a deep breath. Here are some good things we can probably all agree are good/right.

-Roof over your head

-Helping others in times of crisis

-Family (whatever shape or form)

For the second one, "Helping others in times of crisis", I initially wrote just "Helping others" when I realized that one could argue that you can help someone do something bad and it would still be considered as "helping" them. But now I realize that there is the same idea even after sticking on "in times of crisis" because you can still help people do bad/wrong things in times of crisis.

Maybe this should be reworded as..."Helping others in times of crisis where the result is universally good/right such as saving one's life or feeding those suffering from starvation".

The last one I put "whatever shape or form" because I do know that some people consider their friends as family. Such as unrelated children brought up together or those who have lost family members who unite and become long-time friends with one another. Or even complete strangers who end up finding friendship in each other and would do anything for the other. And yes, that's right, to be a family you don't have to have blood ties.

Like me and my cat :) Or you and your dog, or cat, or parrot, or ferret, or rabbit, or unicorn, whatever beloved pet of yours that you consider family and that you would look at someone sternly in the eye and say, "She/He is not just a pet, she/he is FAMILY. And ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind," (Lilo and Stitch reference).


The Grand Finale of a Conclusatory (not a word but I don't care) Remark 

Three things in bad/wrong, three things in good/right, I think we can all agree on this. For anything that isn't there, there is the problem of perspective (personal, group, or government) such as the much debated death penalty. There seems to be this controversial fine line between a lot of the things. Some people may argue that a species going endangered is good and others (like me) are left with our mouths gaping because we can't believe wha da heck they just said. The Big Bad Wolf may argue that people say he is bad because he ate people alive but from his perspective he might argue that he was just eating people because food was scarce because the people stole away his wild game which, in the end, makes him rather innocent and even crafty for the way he went about eating the grandma. So in that sense, he might argue that he is not the Big Bad Wolf but the Rather Normal Wolf Doing Normal Things A Normal Starved Wolf Would Do.

You know, it's getting really iffy and controversial in here I think I'll stop now :P

The six things in total I mentioned might be universally considered as being right or wrong, good or bad. But what about the other things. Is there any sort of line to separate everything in a way that we can all agree on?

Seems like a tough question and idk if it exists, well, I think it does to some extent until it gets too hard to separate. Not everything's like oil and water. Some things are so mixed up in a mess of a batter and already baked into a controversial storm of a cake.

My metaphors are going places, guys *sarcasm, can you hear it buzz?*

See ya later, alligators! :D

1 comment: