Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Darn those LANGUAGE BARRIERS!

Have you ever had trouble with language barriers?  I have.  And believe me, it ain't pretty fella.

Anyway let's start with something that happened to me.  I was telling my Chinese friend how I can't take spicy things.  I said, "Even pepper is so hot that my throat burns."  My friend was like o.O

She thought my throat ACTUALLY burned when I had spicy things.  It was just a metaphor.  I had to explain to her that my throat didn't actually burn, sheesh.  But you can't blame those who aren't native English speakers so...eh.

Now let's talk about me as the foreigner and People as the natives.  In Japan, I don't feel like a foreigner because I lived most of my life there.  But now in America, even though I do know about the culture and stuff, sometimes I feel a language a barrier between me and the native English speakers here.  For example, hard complex words.  You guys learned them like a piece of cake in junior high and high school so obviously you are used to using those kinds of words.  But me, I can only recognize a few because I took the SAT and had to practice my vocabulary.  I can't really remember any but I know there were a few that my friends used that I only recognized by sound but couldn't remember what they meant.  Maybe I should study the SAT vocabs again...

Anyway, it's getting to be dinner time so I'll be going now.  I might add some on and in that case I'll just write below this sentences, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment