Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Verbing and Adjectivey, Verby and Adjectiving

Isn't it interesting how you can "verb" things or "adjective" things?

Once I wrote a poem and in it I said, "Trees vultured over the car" only to later find out that "vulture" can't be made into a verb.  But I refused to change it.  I mean, why not?  It happens all the time.

Some of you might know already but "email" didn't use to be a verb.  It was a noun.  But nowadays its common to say "I will email you tomorrow."

So, why not try to verb and adjective lots of other nouns?  It's really fun to do especially if you're into creative writing.  If people know the meaning of the noun, then no doubt they will know what you mean even if it's changed to a verb or adjective.

Today I wrote a small fiction story about waves and ocean.  I said, "The tide pool serpented across the shore."  I don't think "serpent" can be a verb but, here you are!

Maybe we can even say "the serpenty tide pool snaked across the shore."  Can you picture that?  It does make sense doesn't it?

Here are some words I'd like to verb and adjective (oh, the first two!).

1. verb
2. adjective
3. tree
4. table
5. chair
6. river
7. umbrella
8. shoe
9. sloth
10. money

Do you think something could umbrella?  If so, what would it mean?  To open up like an umbrella or to look like one?  What about shoe?  Could something shoe?  Could something be slothy or could it sloth?  Could something money or have moneyness?  How about river?  I bet something could river up the driveway or something like that.

If you come up with a way to do this or some meaning or sentence, comment below! (Yes, yes, I'm too lazy to do it myself.  Yes, yes, I admit it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment