Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Facebook Irony

I know the Internet with all its Social Networkings play a great part in our lives.  But let me lend you a little secret: IT'S MAKING US LONELY!!!

Okay, to clarify, when I mean lonely, I don't mean chatting with your friends online or sms or whatever.  I mean no human contact.  I mean ZERO warm-fleshy-human contact.  And that's what the world of Social Networking really is.  Where in the process of sms do you come in contact with another person?  Your friend doesn't teleport over to you instantly during the middle of your conversation, does she?  No, she does not.  She stays in her room or at a park with her iPhone or iPad or whatever and texts you from there.

So, are you teleporting then?  No, you are doing the same thing she is only somewhere else.  It could be just around the block (Good grief!  Put your phone down and meet already!) or half way across the world.  No contact.  Nopesy nope.

People are lonely beings.  We need human interaction.  It's most important for teens and children because it helps them develop.  You might want to know how I know this but I did a little research on the "Internet" about iPhones and children you see.  Oh, how sad it is.  How sad.  We have become such lonely human beings now that technology is climbing up to its full height...

Social Networking Services like Facebook especially play a giant role in our daily lives and not to mention Twitter, too.  Some people go "Tweet!  Tweet!" on the Internet about all sorts of things.  Do you want the world to know what you are doing this very second and that very second?  It's ridiculous!

Facebook, too.  Though I guiltily confess that I, too, use Facebook, I still quite dislike the fact that we have to torture ourselves like this.  I see oh all the amazing things my friends have done and feel so depressed not having done them, too.  I can also see my relatives and especially when I'm in Japan, whereas my relatives are in America, and I can't actually meet them and it's terribly sad.  I hate finding myself spending time on that darn Facebook.

But even with the downsides, I can't help but admit I have found it helpful during my stay abroad in America.  I can connect with friends I wouldn't have been able to connect with if there weren't any Facebook.  That is nice to be able to do when you're so faraway from home.

Facebook is like an angel and a devil at the same time.  Angel, because it helps us connect with the rest of the world, and devil because it makes us lonely because we can't actually meet those people that we connect to especially if they are far away.

I hate the Internet and Facebook, but I'm also glad that it's around.  Oh, the irony!

No comments:

Post a Comment