Monday, October 7, 2013

What is bullying?

Maybe some of you out there reading this have been bullied.  Maybe you haven't.  Or maybe you don't really know or don't want to talk about it.

But I'm going to talk about it.  Just to let you know, I've been bullied in my first and second year of junior high.  The second year was probably the worst year.  I had no friends in my homeroom class to support me.  Anyway, well, I don't feel ashamed of having been bullied.  I mean, it wasn't my fault... well... actually it kinda was but the inside of my desk was none of their business...

Okay, enough about me.  Let's talk about bullying.  What is it really?  I believe that it can be put into three categories.


1. Bullying by words.

2. Bullying by actions either by physical contact or no physical contact.

3. A leader or someone of high status manipulating a group into bullying an individual or lesser group.


The results?
Alienation
Disbelief in friendship
Hatred to society
Self discouragement

And the larger scale results are:
Conflict
War involving not just one but two or even more countries

When we take a look at the first category, we might remember having been called names.  The person doing the bullying might not even need to touch their victim.  All they need to do is stick pins in needles into the heart verbally.  Words are pretty powerful and it kinda connects to number 3 but I'll go on ahead to the second category.

Once the bullying gets physical it can be pretty obvious that it is indeed bullying.  Bullying by words can be subtle.  The culprit may only need to say a few words when passing the victim in the hallway.  But physical contact like shoving someone or tripping them on purpose, hitting them, punching them, stuffing a dirty cloth into their mouths or cutting off their hair is pretty... yeah... bullying-ish.  If it doesn't look like a friendly scuffle, I say call a teacher or get an authority over to the scene quick before it escalates   o.O

The last one, connected to the first one, makes me think of Hitler and his Nazi pals.  Some of you might actually like Hitler and believe he did right but that's your idea.  This is mine.  Just don't jump on me on this, okay?

Using words, this clever mastermind leader was able to turn some people around into thinking the Jewish were bad.  He manipulated them into committing a large-scale-extreme bullying spree.  Yes, it might have been like a war but from what I know--from reading Maus I and II for class--it was more like bullying.

Hitler is a notorious historical figure long gone so I'm gonna bring it closer... let's see... maybe a teacher or professor.  Maybe a coach will say something in front of everyone else about you just so that you may suffer the consequences.  Maybe even a leader of a country will do something in order to make their people go against another country without much reason.  You might think, "Oh, that's just political stuff, pshh, what the heck is she talking about!"  But it's much like bullying.  Just a different sort of scale.

Okay, I babbled long enough and can't hold back any longer.

Some people who read this might say,
"Oh, well, I don't have to worry about it.  It'll never happen to me." 
To which I want to say,
"Think you're too far from that world?  Well, think again, it might not be as far away as you think."

No comments:

Post a Comment